The history of the Toro (the Bull is the team mascot) dates back to December 3, 1906 when a group of Juventus dissidents decided to create a new football team called Football Club Torino (or Torino Calcio). The new football stadium Filadelfia was built and inaugurated on December 17, 1926, and a year later Torino Calcio won its first championship (1927/28). Torino Calcio won its first Coppa d’Italia (Italy’s Cup) against Alessandria in 1935/36. In 1939 Ferruccio Novo became president of the of the team and succeeded in acquiring a group of important new players including Bodoira, Bacigalupo, Tomà, Borel II, Gabetto, Menti, Ferraris, Loik, Mazzola, and Grezar.
These players brought home a second championship title in 1942/43, which would actually be the first of a total of five for these players. This talented team was stopped only by a tragedy – on May 4, 1949 at 5:05pm, the team was flying back to Turin after a game in Lisbon when the aircraft crashed into the Basilica di Superga. Almost thirty years would pass before Torino Calcio would win another championship – the so-called “gemelli del gol” or “goal twins” Pulici and Graziani helped Torino Calcio secure the 1975/76 championship title. After a short demotion to serie B, the football circuit below serie A, the Torino Calcio team has returned to playing in the premier football league in Italy. Torino Calcio fans tend to be old stock Turinese citizens whose families have lived in Turin for generations and who are really proud to be from Turin.